RESPONSIBILITIES OF A VOLUNTEER Guardian ad Litem
I am for the Child. Specifically, the Volunteer Guardian ad Litem will:
|Gather Information:||The Guardian ad Litem collects information by talking with the child, family members, foster parents, teachers and any other person involved in the child’s life.|
|Monitor:||The Guardian ad Litem visits with the child a minimum of once a month and reports observations.|
|Protect:||The Guardian ad Litem works with community partners to ensure the child is receiving the assistance and support needed to remain safe.|
|Advocate:||Based on the information you have gathered, the Guardian ad Litem, through the Guardian ad Litem Attorney, is able to make recommendations to the court and become the “voice” of the child.|
As a VOLUNTEER for the Guardian ad Litem Program, you will…
- RECEIVE TRAINING from the Guardian ad Litem Program. We offer comprehensive training at no cost which will prepare you for your role as a Guardian ad Litem in Hillsborough County’s Thirteenth Judicial Circuit.
- MAKE A DIFFERENCE. Few volunteer opportunities allow you the chance to make a direct impact in the life of a child.
- EXPERIENCE A SUPPORTIVE STAFF from experienced and knowledgeable Program Staff, Child Advocate Managers, Master Guardians and Guardian ad Litem Attorneys. The Guardian ad Litem Program is a responsive team who, along with the Volunteer, work together to provide advocacy for the child.
- SHARE YOUR KNOWLEDGE AND LIFE EXPERIENCES. Many times, it’s the Guardian ad Litem who becomes the most stable person in the child’s life. Sharing your life experiences with a child in dependency can be rewarding for you and life-changing for the child.
- LEARN NEW SKILLS. Simply learning the legal path of a case is eye-opening, but being in the courts where you see our justice system in action can be a new learning experience for most people. Our training will prepare you for new procedures and a new way of looking at children and families to make a positive difference.
- BE A POWERFUL VOICE for children affected by abuse, neglect or abandonment. Join us. Stand and say, “I am for the child!”
Steps to become A VOLUNTEER
1) Attend an Information Session
2) Complete our online application. Please note it is not possible to save any information entered into the online form so please be prepared to complete the entire application. Click here for our Online Application
3)Contact a Volunteer Recruiter to schedule your interview and advise them of the training session you prefer. Recruiter’s can be reached by calling 813-272-5110 and ask for the Recruiting Team.
March 1st – 6:00 pm Higgins Hall, Polly Murray Building (Building at North end of Parking Lot, closest to Hillsborough Avenue) 5225 N. Himes Avenue, Tampa 33614
March 8th – 6:00 pm Guardian ad Litem Office, 700 E. Twiggs St., Ste. 750, Tampa 33602
March 22nd – 6:00 pm Guardian ad Litem Office, 700 E. Twiggs St., Ste. 750, Tampa 33602
March 29th – 6:00 pm Brandon Library, 619 Vonderburg Dr, Brandon, FL 33511
APRIL Classroom Training
April 10, 17, 19, 24 & 26
6:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
Guardian ad Litem Office
700 E. Twiggs Street, Ste. 750, Tampa 33602
I am for the Child