- How do I become a GAL? “Contact Us” and we will provide you with dates and times for upcoming Information Sessions, this information can also be found on our “Volunteer” tab. We’re happy to answer any additional questions that you may have. Click the “Contact Us” tab for phone and email contact information.
- How old do I have to be to become a GAL? Guardians ad Litem need to be twenty-one (21) years old.
- Do I need to have a background in law or social work? No, our volunteers come from all walks of life with different educational backgrounds and life experiences. You will receive specialized training that will prepare you to become a certified GAL.
- Will I need to submit to a background check? Yes. All potential GALs are fingerprinted, undergoing a criminal and child abuse registry background check.
- What are the ages of the children that the GAL Program represents? The children range in age from newborns to 17 years old.
- Can I work with a particular gender or age group? Yes. Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on your prospective, we have hundreds of cases for you to choose from.
- How much time does it take to be a GAL? The monthly average is 12-15 hours. It depends on what’s happening with your case as to how much time you will spend. You will visit the child monthly, report observations and attend court hearings. All other advocating and investigating depends on the situation of case you’ve selected. Your Child Advocacy Manager (CAM) will assist you.
- What kind of support can I expect from the GAL Program? You are not alone. We have a structured support system in place. After you complete training, you will be assigned a Child Advocacy Manager and a Master Guardian who will mentor and advise you on your case. Each case is also assigned a Staff Attorney who will be responsible for the legal aspects of the case.
Please, if you have additional questions, don’t hesitate to contact one of the Volunteer Recruiters listed on our “Contact Us” page or simply call 813-272-5110 and ask to speak with a Recruiter. We’re here to help you and to ensure that our Guardian ad Litem Program will be a good fit for you prior to moving forward. We look forward to meeting you soon!